Formerly acknowledged as Jefferson Medical College, Sidney Kimmel Medical College is a private school of medicine situated at 4201 Henry Ave, Philadelphia, United States.
Sidney Kimmel Medical College has provided offer 31,000 medical degrees to its students. It grants both undergraduate medical education programs and other joint degree programs to more than 1,000 students every year.
The private school of medicine has a long-standing prestige as one of the most prominent schools of medicine.
Seeking a medical degree program at SKMC medical school will expose you to an incredibly demanding career that will afford you tremendous gratification and the chance to impact the lives of others.
Sidney Kimmel Medical College offers equal academic and job opportunities for all individuals without concern for race, color, national or ethnic origin, marital status, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age.
However, your academic journey at Sidney Kimmel medical college is not entirely in the medical sphere. The school educates you on dealing with the social, ethical, and legal aspects that affect the profession.
Previously, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) declared the appointment of Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University, together with nine other institutions from across the nation for the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education’s Patient Safety Collaborative program, positioning it in the list of top ten in the country.
- 1 How many medical degree programs does Sidney Kimmel medical college offer?
- 2 Combined MD/PhD Program
- 3 Dual MD/MPH Program at Sidney Kimmel medical college
- 4 Joint MD/MBA-MHA Program in Health Administration
- 5 Sidney Kimmel Medical college Admission Requirments
- 6 How Much does Sidney Kimmel medical college cost?
How many medical degree programs does Sidney Kimmel medical college offer?
Sidney Kimmel Medical college delivers a diversity of medical-related programs that you can seek and attain.
Mostly, students seeking to find medical degree programs at SKMC will have a long list to choose from.
Below are some of the notable courses offered by the Sidney Kimmel Medical college that you can enter.
- Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Cancer Biology
- Dermatology & Cutaneous Biology
- Emergency Medicine
- Family & Community Medicine
- Integrative Medicine &
- Nutritional Sciences
- Medical Oncology
- Microbiology & Immunology
- Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
- Neurological Surgery
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Otolaryngology / Head & Neck Surgery
- Pathology, Anatomy & Cell Biology
- Pharmacology & Experimental Therapeutics
- Psychiatry & Human Behavior
- Radiation Oncology
- Rehabilitation Medicine
Moreover, below are some of the combined programs offered at the Sidney Kimmel medical college.
Related: Barry University PA Program
Combined MD/PhD Program
Sidney Kimmel Medical College and the Jefferson Graduate College of Biomedical Sciences together support a program for the training of medical scientists that needs almost eight years of study and leads to both the MD and PhD degrees.
The objective of this program at Sidney Kimmel medical college is to lift up a set of experts who are well stabilized in bio-medicine, medicine, and research. The program affords students extraordinary training at the interface of science and medicine.
In the initial two years, trainees finish Phase 1 of the medical school curriculum. The subsequent four years are committed primarily to finishing graduate-level coursework, completing an authentic research project in the laboratory of a faculty preceptor, and writing a thesis which is generally defended at the end of the program.
In the duration of their research at Sidney Kimmel medical college, students emphasis in the following areas Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Genetics, Immunology, and Microbial Pathogenesis, Cell and Developmental Biology, Molecular Pharmacology and Structural Biology, and Neuroscience.
Dual MD/MPH Program at Sidney Kimmel medical college
Sydney Kimmel Medical College in coalition with the Jefferson College of Population Health gives medical students the chance to obtain a Master of Public Health degree.
Obtaining an MPH degree gives graduates the devices to influence transition in any chosen area of health care or public health.
The MPH curriculum deals with disease prevention, growth of healthy lifestyles, communication, environmental awareness, public advocacy, cultural competence, and program planning and evaluation.
It is beneficial to students who want to entail administration, management, research, policy, or advocacy in their prospective professions as medical professionals.
Graduates with dual degrees can seek career openings in public health departments, health centers, academia, insurance institutions, consulting corporations, international programs, nonprofit organizations, and the pharmaceutical industry.
This MPH program at Sidney Kimmel Medical college is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Joint MD/MBA-MHA Program in Health Administration
This program is a collaborative program given in affiliation with the Widener University in Chester, Pennsylvania.
The program is a five year MBA program that strives to ready medical students with fundamental leadership and administrative roles.
Sidney Kimmel Medical college Admission Requirments
They are some of the prerequisites you must meet to be admitted to SKMC for your medical degree.
Undergraduate Degree Programs Requirements
If you want to seek any of the undergraduate level programs delivered at Sidney Kimmel medical college, you will certainly be required to meet all of the following requirements.
-A good Foundation in Sciences:
Applicants must have attained a high school certificate with a background in sciences. You must possess a comprehensive knowledge of biology, general and organic chemistry, and physics.
Studies in the humanities, the social and behavioral sciences, and the advancement of practical writing skills are strongly required too.
-Medical College Admission Test
The Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) is needed. The test should be carried out about three years before the time of application. The reasonable period to take the test is in the Spring before applying so that your scores are ready when you apply.
Regular applicants are expected to take the MCAT no later than the later sitting in September; special program applicants no later than the last sitting in April-May. All applicants are expected to request that their MCAT scores be sent to the Admissions Office.
No one will be evaluated for an interview without MCAT scores. You can reach the MCAT Program Office here:
MCAT Program Office
P.O. Box 4056
Iowa City, IA 52243-4056
Sidney Kimmel Medical college required personal skills
In order to be an adequate physician, you must have some personal skills that will differentiate you in this profession. Below are some personal prerequisites to qualify you for a medical career.
- The proficiency to assess, synthesize, and unravel problems, and reach diagnostic and therapeutic judgments.
- Sufficient use of the senses of vision and hearing and somatic sensation vital to conduct a physical examination using observation
- The proficiency to associate with patients and to establish perceptive, professional relationships with patients.
- The potential to work as an active team member of the health care team.
- The potential to relate in writing and verbally with patients and medical colleagues with precision, simplicity and efficiency in both routine and emergency conditions.
- The potential to use good appraisal in the examination and treatment of patients etc.
Here are the requirements for beginning an undergraduate degree journey at SKMC.
- Adequate completion of current enrollment.
- Completing all entrance requirements (including all academic and technical standards of SKMC).
- Satisfactory health.
- Consensus to adhere to the rules and regulations of the Thomas Jefferson University and Code of Professional Conduct.
- Consensus to acknowledge curriculum alterations as authorized by the faculty and tuition changes as concluded by the Board of Trustees.
- A successful criminal background inspection is needed for acceptance
COMBINED GRADUATE DEGREE PROGRAMS REQUIREMENTS
If you want to seek any of the combined graduate programs at Sidney Kimmel medical college, you are expected to submit an application to the Medical College Application Service (AMCAS). If you are making the application this year, you are required to submit your application before 15 October as the deadline is November 15.
The materials required are:
- The Sidney Kimmel Medical College Secondary Application Form
- The non-refundable $80 application fee
- MCAT scores
- Letters of recommendation
Sidney Kimmel Medical college expects you to deliver a recommendation from a preprofessional committee or alternatively by individual faculty members (one letter each from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Humanities, if possible).
Applicants who have attended graduate programs are urged to submit extra letters from their graduate schools.
NOTE: There will be an interview. This is to allow the Sidney Kimmel medical college admission panel to make judgments on the last nomination. This is because roughly 10,000 students apply for admission each year and the committee on admissions will have to select 272 students each year. The interview will be an avenue where:
- Information can be substantiated and clarified.
- The applicant can clarify the unusual parts of the application.
- The applicant can become adequately familiarized with the medical school.
- Intelligence, proficiency to disseminate, personal qualities, and motivation can be evaluated.
How Much does Sidney Kimmel medical college cost?
An approximation of the least expenditures for a first-year student will be nearly $83,354 for the 11-month academic year. Sidney Kimmel Medical College tuition rates are reset annually.
- For the 2020 – 2021 academic year, the extensive fee is $60,021. This fee includes tuition and other fees together with library and technology fees.
In case you want to study at Sidney Kimmel with financial aid, you can submit an application noting your desires. As soon as the financial need is indicated and the resources of the student and family are clearly specified, the student is supervised to receive a minimum of $10,000 in the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan.
If the monetary requirement is more than this amount, Sidney Kimmel medical college will endeavor to meet a percentage of this need from the university’s loan and grant/scholarship funds.
By November 15th, Financial Aid Application information is emailed to all accepted students.
Students are urged to reach out to the University Office of Student Financial Aid.
University Office of Financial Aid
1015 Walnut Street, Suite 115, Curtis Bldg.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107