Find out more about Horatio Alger scholarship 2021 now. You’ll see the requirements and method of application right now.
The Horatio Alger Association of Canada is Canada’s biggest provider of scholarships offered according to the needs of the students.
Being one of Canada’s biggest college financial aid schemes in the country, the Horatio Alger scholarship Program is one of the primary scholarship schemes that offer aids to high school students who have encountered and endured considerable obstacles in their young lives.
The scholarships are sponsored by Horatio Alger Members who, like the Scholars, have encountered difficulties but eventually endured them to become prosperous business and civic leaders.
- 1 About Horatio Alger scholarship program
- 2 Horatio Alger scholarship Eligibility requirements
- 3 Horatio Alger Scholarship Application Requirements
- 4 How to Apply for Horatio Alger scholarship
About Horatio Alger scholarship program
A sum of 170 need-based scholarships will be granted to students :
- 160 Horatio Alger Canadian Scholarships, rated at $5,000 each, to high school and cegep students in all region and territory with intentions to attend university, and;
- 10 Horatio Alger National Entrepreneurial Scholarships, rated at $10,000 each, to excellent applicants nationwide who plan to seek a business-related degree or have indicated a dedication to pursuing an entrepreneurial career.
Horatio Alger scholarships are granted to students worthy of financial aid and have endured substantial difficulty while establishing efficacy of character, strong educational ability, a devotion to seeking higher education as well as an intention to contribute to society.
Funds can be utilized for university studies. There are diverse Horatio Alger scholarship programs for vocational & technical academic studies and for indigenous students.
The total sum of $6.28 million in scholarships have been granted to 1,126 meriting young Canadians since 2012.
According to Prem Watsa, President of the Horatio Alger Association of Canada and a Member since 2012 “Education is the single most powerful guarantor of future success. We are proud to offer these 170 scholarships to hardworking young Canadians and continue our investment in future generations.”
The Horatio Alger scholarship is granted to eligible students in all fifty states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. National Scholars obtain a paid trip to Washington, D.C., that covers every expenses during the spring of their senior year to partake in the National Scholars Conference. Beneficiaries must be at the National Scholars Conference to obtain the grant.
Horatio Alger scholarship Eligibility requirements
In order to be eligible for the Horatio Alger Scholarship Program, applicants must meet the certain requirements. There are different scholarship programs accessible to students. They are the :
Undergraduate Scholarship (programs for high school seniors)
- Applicants for Horatio Alger scholarship must be registered full time as a high school senior in the United States; be advancing normally toward graduation in spring/summer of 2021 with intentions to enter a college in the USA no later than the fall after the graduation
- Applicants for Horatio Alger scholarship must demonstrate a strong devotion to seek and attain a bachelor’s degree at an accredited non-profit public or private institution in the United States.
- Applicants must show significant monetary shortage (the sum of $55,000 or lesser adjusted gross family income is needed)
- Applicants for Horatio Alger scholarship must be involved in co-curricular and community service activities
- Applicants must show virtue and persistence in enduring difficulty
- Should be able to maintain a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0; and
Targeted Scholarships (programs for applicants in a particular major or select number of colleges/universities)
- Be registered full-time as a college freshman at certain colleges/universities
- Show an intense devotion to seek and attain a bachelor’s degree
- Show a crucial financial lack ($55,000 or less adjusted gross family income is needed and/or show Pell eligibility)
- Must be partaking in co-curricular and community service activities
- Show virtue and endurance in withstanding difficulty
- maintain a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 (check individual programs for GPA requirements); and
- Must be a citizen of the United States
Horatio Alger Scholarship Application Requirements
To be able to ascertain that a student meets the prerequisites of the Horatio Alger Scholarship, the program invites applicants to submit some documentation. These are some of the details that you will have to provide when filling out your application:
- Academic Information Section: this section is used to verify your academic information such as GPA, class rank, and coursework and is meant to be filled by your school counselor.
- Adversity Section: The Adversity Section is where applicants have to provide a comprehensive summary of the adversity they have endured. This is due to the fact that the Horatio Alger Scholarship is granted to students who have grown above huge challenges, it’s crucial that students reveal why they are meriting of the award in this section.
- Support Form: The Support Form is practically a verification that the details you wrote in the Adversity Section is correct. A Support Form provider must be more than 21 years old, and be conversant with you and the difficulties that you have encountered and be able to provide more information and understanding into your merit. Support Form providers are generally applicants’ acquaintances, family friends, counselors, pastors, teachers, or coaches.
- Proof of Citizenship: It is mandatory to verify your citizenship. This can be done by submitting a copy of the photo ID page of your US passport which comprises your full name, or a copy of your citizenship certificate. In you do not have any of this, just submit a copy of a parent’s citizenship certificate or your Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
- Financial Information: Since the Horatio Alger Scholarship expects applicants to be from families with an adjusted gross family income of $55,000 or less, you are invited to provide information to verify that this is the case. The documentation vital will differ depending upon the applicant’s situations.
How to Apply for Horatio Alger scholarship
It is essential to know about the organization/foundation awarding a scholarship in order to know if the scholarship suits you and the category of people they generally grant them to.
To know more about the Horatio Alger scholarship program, you have to:
- Study the foundation ’s social media: The Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans has a strong social media presence, on platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube. When you begin to study the social media platforms, you begin to understand more about the association’s goal, and attain a considerable knowledge of their values.
- Study past winners: studying the people who have been granted the Horatio Alger Scholarship in the past can give you an insight of the category of person they’re looking for. There are stories of winners through Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans’ social media channels.
If you enjoyed this guide about Horatio Alger scholarship 2021, kindly share it now.
Check out other Scholarships:
- Mckay Scholarship
- Arkansas Scholarship Lottery
- Are Scholarships Taxable
- Coalition Application
- Excelsior Scholarship
- Hope Scholarship