If you are interested in applying for the Excelsior scholarship 2021 form, then kindly read the information we have on this page now.
In a bid to curtail the cost of college education and student loan, the State of New York, under the administration of Governor Cuomo and the legislature launched the Excelsior Scholarship.
Being the first of its kind in the country, the scholarship is expected to assist lots of New York State dwellers to go to a CUNY college tuition-free and create a national model extending passage to higher education.
All beneficiaries of this grant are required to; have a family earning of $110,000 or less for the 2018-19 academic year and $125,000 for 2019-20; file for the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) together with the TAP and Excelsior Scholarship applications; go full-time, and finish 30 credits per year.
Beneficiaries must also concede to dwell only in New York State and not be engaged in any other State for a consecutive number of years proportional to the period of the grant.
The Excelsior Scholarship will be pertained to each entitling student’s monetary assistance package after all other assistance, like the TAP, Pell, City Council Scholarship, college scholarships, and other awards or scholarships are applied.
- 1 Excelsior Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
- 2 What is the duration that I can receive the Excelsior Scholarship?
- 3 Can a transfer student be eligible?
- 4 Can one receive this award to get my Bachelor’s degree after completing an Associate’s Degree?
- 5 Are Graduate students qualified for the Excelsior Scholarship?
- 6 What is the meaning of a New York State Resident for the goal of the Excelsior Scholarship?
- 7 What if I fail to finish the 30 credit prerequisite?
- 8 Possible amount to receive from the Excelsior Scholarship?
- 9 Expenses covered by the Excelsior Scholarship
Excelsior Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
Is it possible to attend college at CUNY tuition-free?
It is possible to be qualified for the scholarship and attend college at CUNY tuition free, if you are an undergraduate who is a citizen of the U.S. or qualified undergraduate if you are a non-citizen and dwell in New York State for one year before enrollment and whose family’s fixed gross income does not surpass $110,000 and you finish thirty (30) credits per year.
With the Excelsior scholarship, it is possible to attend CUNY tuition-free if you meet all these prerequisites and funding is obtainable
The credit prerequisites of the Excelsior Scholarship?
To be eligible, students have to be registered full-time (12 credits) and take thirty (30) credits every year toward their major, summer, and winter terms included. Students encountering difficulty are able to take fewer credits.
The general prerequisite for Excelsior Scholarship?
To apply for this scholarship:
- You have to be a resident of NYS and have dwelled in NYS for 12 successive months before the onset of the term;
- Have to be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen;
- Must either be a graduate from high school in the United States, attained a high school equivalency diploma, or passed a federally-authorized “Ability to Benefit” test, as determined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department;
- Must possess a collective federal adjusted gross income of 110,000 or less for the 2018-2019 academic year;
- Aim at pursuing an undergraduate degree at CUNY;
- Must be registered in a minimum of 12 credits per term and finish a minimum of 30 credits each year (successively), relevant toward his or her degree program;
- In case the applicant has attended college before the 2018-19 academic year, the applicant is expected to have attained a minimum of 30 credits each year (successively), as relevant to his or her degree program before applying for an Excelsior Scholarship;
- Applicants are expected to be in a non-default level on a student loan created under any NYS or federal education loan program or on the repayment of any NYS award;
- Applicants must be in adherence with the terms of the service condition(s) required by a NYS grant that you have formerly obtained; and
- Applicants must implement a Contract conceding to dwell in NYS for the duration of time the grant was obtained, and, if employed during such time, be employed in NYS.
Are proceeding students qualified for the Scholarship?
Students who are presently attending college are qualified to obtain the scholarship if they maintained full-time registration and finished thirty (30) credits toward their degree every year before applying for the scholarship.
How to maintain my eligibility?
You will go on with receiving the scholarship if you register full-time and successfully finish thirty (30) credits toward your degree in an educational year. Students who are unable to successfully finish thirty (30) credits per year can lose the scholarship.
What is the duration that I can receive the Excelsior Scholarship?
You are qualified to obtain an Excelsior Scholarship for about 2 years for students seeking an Associate’s degree and about 4 years for students seeking a Bachelor’s degree. Students in an undergraduate program of study generally needing 5 years are qualified to obtain the grant for 5 years.
Can a transfer student be eligible?
A student who switched between colleges is qualified for an Excelsior Scholarship if they do not have a halt in enrollment and are moving on to complete their Associate’s degree in 2 years or their Bachelor’s degree in 4 years depending on the number of credits approved by their current college.
Can one receive this award to get my Bachelor’s degree after completing an Associate’s Degree?
If the college that you are attending approved all of the credits you attained while finishing your Associate’s degree and you meet all other prerequisites for the Excelsior Scholarship then you can receive the award to get your Bachelor’s Degree after ending your Associate Degree. But, you can’t use the Scholarship for another Associate’s degree.
Are Graduate students qualified for the Excelsior Scholarship?
Graduate students are not qualified for the Excelsior Scholarship. Additionally, you cannot obtain the scholarship to seek a second undergraduate degree.
What is the meaning of a New York State Resident for the goal of the Excelsior Scholarship?
Being an NYS resident for goals of obtaining this award implies that, applicants who deem NYS their continual residence and who are either a U.S. citizen, entitled paroled refugee, or continual resident foreigner must have dwelled in New York State for 12 consecutive months before the term for which the grant is being pursued.
Applicants who entitled to the grant under the NYS DREAM Act must meet up with one of the qualified citizenship/immigration categories as well as the high school or tuition cost prerequisites.
What if I fail to finish the 30 credit prerequisite?
If you fail to finish the 30 credits over a 365 day period, the Excelsior Scholarship will cover your first term; but, you will be accountable for the tuition for your second term. Considering the fact that you will no more be on track to finish your degree on time, you will not be quantified for the scholarship in the future.
Possible amount to receive from the Excelsior Scholarship?
An Excelsior Scholarship beneficiary can be awarded about $5,500 from the scholarship, asides from the amounts obtained for TAP, Pell, New York City Merit Scholarship, or other scholarships. The rest of your tuition fee will be sorted through a tuition credit paid via CUNY.
Expenses covered by the Excelsior Scholarship
The scholarship only sorts tuition for students seeking an undergraduate degree and does not sort other costs of college such as room and board, books, fees, transportation, etc.
Check out other Scholarships:
- Mckay Scholarship
- Coca Cola Scholarship
- Hope Scholarship
- Arkansas Scholarship Lottery
- Coalition Application
- Are Scholarships Taxable?